You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
To find out more or to enrol, please call 01409 220 777
Horticultural Correspondence College Limited is registered in England no. 03819370. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Horticultural Correspondence College is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774548 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development
This course explores the magical world of how plants grow including the science behind pollination, fertilisation, seed formation and germination.
Your first set of course materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can start as soon as you want and progress through the course at your own pace (you have 2 years to complete it), studying when and where you choose. As you complete each lesson, your tutor will promptly return your marked assignment with constructive feedback and guidance.
On successful completion you will be awarded an HCC Certificate. You also have the option to take the exams for the nationally recognised RHS qualification.
Lesson 1 – Plant Classification, Structure and Function
- Classification and taxonomy
- Plant development and life cycles
- Structure and function of plant cells and tissues
- External vegetative parts of the plant
- Reproductive plant structures
- The function of fruits and seeds
- Photosynthesis and respiration
- Movement of water, minerals and sugar
- Plant growth and development
Lesson 2 – Plant Nutrition and the Root Environment
- Understanding the importance of using safe, healthy & environmentally sustainable practices
- The soil horizons
- The physical properties of soil
- Factors that determine the water status in soil
- The importance of organic matter and living soil organisms in the root environment
- The importance of soil pH
- Plant nutrition provided by soil & growing media
- Alternative growing media
Lesson 3 – Maintaining Plant Health
- Scientific principles and horticultural practices of plant health problems
- Safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable practices
- Effects and control of weeds
- Typical plant pests
- Typical plant diseases
- Plant physiological disorders
- Plant health problems
Lesson 4 – Understanding Plant Propagation
- Propagation methods
- Harvesting and storing seeds
- Propagation from seed
- Propagation from cuttings
- Vegetative propagation techniques
- Budding and grafting
- Safe, healthy & environmentally sustainable practices
Successfully complete this course and you will achieve the HCC Certificate*.
If you wish you can sit the external RHS qualification. When you pass you will be awarded:
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development
For the Royal Horticultural Society qualifications, you would need to register as an external candidate with an RHS Approved Centre. Lists of such centres are available from the HCC on request.
You would also need to obtain the RHS syllabus and an entry form directly from the Royal Horticultural Society. Please click here to download RHS outline syllabus, examination dates and fees. Your exam fees are payable to the RHS Approved Centre.
* The HCC Certificate will be issued once you have successfully completed your course and finished your course payments.
Throughout your training, you will be able to ask questions, receive feedback and further develop your knowledge by contacting our experienced tutors by phone or email.
You do not need previous gardening knowledge or experience to enrol on this course.
If needed you have 2 years to complete the course. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 9-12 months (approx 140 learning hours)*.
*Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Successfully complete this course and:
- If you already work in the horticultural profession, this course would demonstrate to prospective employers or clients your interest in plant growth and propagation
There are 2 ways you can enrol
- Pay in one sum of £245 and also receive a special gift from our selection – free. Please click here to view the gifts
- Pay a deposit of £95 now, then 3 instalments of £50
Alternatively, call Freephone 0800 083 9191