You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
To find out more or to enrol, please call 01409 220 777
Horticultural Correspondence College Limited is registered in England no. 03819370. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Horticultural Correspondence College is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774548 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting
A natural progression from the RHS Level 2 course, this is ideal for those wishing to pursue a horticultural career or already working in this field. It should also provide rewarding study for keen amateurs. You will gain an in-depth, scientific knowledge of garden surveying, design and construction, together with a holistic approach to landscaping and also learn about specialist elements in plantings.
Your first set of course materials will be sent to you when you enrol. You can start as soon as you want and progress through the course at your own pace (you have 2 years to complete it), studying when and where you choose. As you complete each lesson, your tutor will promptly return your marked assignment with constructive feedback and guidance.
On successful completion you will be awarded an HCC Certificate. You also have the option to take the exams for the nationally recognised RHS qualification.
Lesson 1 – Understanding garden survey techniques and design principles
- Historical garden design styles
- Conducting a site appraisal
- The client brief
- Basic survey techniques
- Influence of site characteristics on garden design
- Principles and elements of design
Lesson 2 – Understanding the selection and use of landscaping elements in the garden
- The contribution of hard landscaping features to design and function
- Drainage systems in the garden
- The contribution of soft landscaping features to design and function
- The contribution of turf to the design and function of a garden
Lesson 3 – Understanding the setting out and construction of landscaping elements in the garden
- Setting out a site
- Soil movement and storage during construction work
- Construction of drainage systems
- Construction procedures for paths, patios and driveways
- Construction of steps and ramps
- Construction of walls, fences and pergolas
- Pond construction
- Rock garden construction
- Risk assessment
Lesson 4 – Understanding a range of specialist elements
in the establishment of garden and urban plantings
- Amenity bedding schemes
- Components of specialist garden areas
- Pruning for effect
- Urban gardening options
- Water sustainability in the garden
Successfully complete this course and you will achieve the HCC Certificate*.
If you wish you can sit the external RHS qualification. When you pass you will be awarded:
- RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting
For the Royal Horticultural Society qualifications, you would need to register as an external candidate with an RHS Approved Centre. Lists of such centres are available from the HCC on request.
You would also need to obtain the RHS syllabus and an entry form directly from the Royal Horticultural Society. Please click here to download RHS outline syllabus, examination dates and fees. Your exam fees are payable to the RHS Approved Centre.
* The HCC Certificate will be issued once you have successfully completed your course and finished your course payments.
Throughout your training, you will be able to ask questions, receive feedback and further develop your knowledge by contacting our experienced tutors by phone or email.
While there are no formal entry requirements, we recommend that you have successfully completed our RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance or similar before starting on this course. Please get in touch if you are unsure about the level of the course.
If needed you have 2 years to complete the course. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 9-12 months (approx 150 learning hours)*.
*Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Successfully complete this course and:
- You could do the following jobs:
- Working as garden designer or garden planner, for a company or setting up your own business
- Working for a landscape construction company, or doing this work on a self-employed basis
- Working with or for a garden designer, dealing with the hard-landscaping, i.e. the construction part of the garden, which the designer has drawn out on paper
- Garden maintenance and planting
- Working in a nursery; growing, selling, and management
- Garden sitting services (i.e. maintaining gardens while the owners are on holiday).
- Growing and selling container plants of house plants
- As this is a Level 3 course, if you have the required practical experience you could do the jobs listed above at a supervisory level.
- If you already work in the horticultural profession, this course would demonstrate to prospective employers or clients an in-depth knowledge of garden planning, construction and planting.
- Successful completion of this course and the Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation provide the written framework (theory) for the RHS Level 3 Diploma in the Principles of Horticulture (when the assessments of the RHS Level 3 Practical Horticulture Certificate have also been successfully completed).
To enrol, you can either:
- Pay in one sum of £295 and also receive a special Gift from our selection – free. Please click here to view the gifts
- Pay with a deposit of £95 now, then 4 instalments of £50
To enrol by phone, please call:
If you are calling from a landline please dial 0800 083 9191
To enrol online, please click here